Current:Home > MarketsEthermac Exchange-SpaceX launches rescue mission for 2 NASA astronauts who are stuck in space until next year -Capitatum
Ethermac Exchange-SpaceX launches rescue mission for 2 NASA astronauts who are stuck in space until next year
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 11:28:24
CAPE CANAVERAL,Ethermac Exchange Fla. (AP) — SpaceX launched a rescue mission for the two stuck astronauts at the International Space Station on Saturday, sending up a downsized crew to bring them home but not until next year.
The capsule rocketed toward orbit to fetch the test pilots whose Boeing spacecraft returned to Earth empty earlier this month because of safety concerns. The switch in rides left it to NASA’s Nick Hague and Russia’s Alexander Gorbunov to retrieve Butch Wilmore and Suni Williams.
Since NASA rotates space station crews approximately every six months, this newly launched flight with two empty seats reserved for Wilmore and Williams won’t return until late February. Officials said there wasn’t a way to bring them back earlier on SpaceX without interrupting other scheduled missions.
By the time they return, the pair will have logged more than eight months in space. They expected to be gone just a week when they signed up for Boeing’s first astronaut flight that launched in June.
NASA ultimately decided that Boeing’s Starliner was too risky after a cascade of thruster troubles and helium leaks marred its trip to the orbiting complex. The space agency cut two astronauts from this SpaceX launch to make room on the return leg for Wilmore and Williams.
Williams has since been promoted to commander of the space station, which will soon be back to its normal population of seven. Once Hague and Gorbunov arrive this weekend, four astronauts living there since March can leave in their own SpaceX capsule. Their homecoming was delayed a month by Starliner’s turmoil.
Hague noted before the flight that change is the one constant in human spaceflight.
“There’s always something that is changing. Maybe this time it’s been a little more visible to the public,” he said.
Hague was thrust into the commander’s job for the rescue mission based on his experience and handling of a launch emergency six years ago. The Russian rocket failed shortly after liftoff, and the capsule carrying him and a cosmonaut catapulted off the top to safety.
Rookie NASA astronaut Zena Cardman and veteran space flier Stephanie Wilson were pulled from this flight after NASA opted to go with SpaceX to bring the stuck astronauts home. The space agency said both would be eligible to fly on future missions. Gorbunov remained under an exchange agreement between NASA and the Russian Space Agency.
“I don’t know exactly when my launch to space will be, but I know that I will get there,” Cardman said from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center, where she took part in the launch livestream.
Hague acknowledged the challenges of launching with half a crew and returning with two astronauts trained on another spacecraft.
“We’ve got a dynamic challenge ahead of us,” Hague said after arriving from Houston last weekend. “We know each other and we’re professionals and we step up and do what’s asked of us.”
SpaceX has long been the leader in NASA’s commercial crew program, established as the space shuttles were retiring more than a decade ago. SpaceX beat Boeing in delivering astronauts to the space station in 2020 and it’s now up to 10 crew flights for NASA.
Boeing has struggled with a variety of issues over the years, repeating a Starliner test flight with no one on board after the first one veered off course. The Starliner that left Wilmore and Williams in space landed without any issues in the New Mexico desert on Sept. 6, and has since returned to Kennedy Space Center. A week ago, Boeing’s defense and space chief was replaced.
Delayed by Hurricane Helene pounding Florida, the latest SpaceX liftoff marked the first for astronauts from Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station. SpaceX took over the old Titan rocket pad nearly two decades ago and used it for satellite launches, while flying crews from Kennedy’s former Apollo and shuttle pad next door. The company wanted more flexibility as more Falcon rockets soared.
___
The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Science and Educational Media Group. The AP is solely responsible for all content.
veryGood! (16)
Related
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- Golden Globes 2024: Sam Claflin Reveals How Stevie Nicks Reacted to Daisy Jones & the Six
- Packers vs. Cowboys playoff preview: Mike McCarthy squares off against former team
- NFL playoff picture Week 18: Cowboys win NFC East, Bills take AFC East
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Bomb targeting police assigned for anti-polio campaign kills 6 officers, wounds 10 in NW Pakistan
- Biggest moments you missed at the Golden Globes, from Jennifer Lawrence to Cillian Murphy
- Reese Witherspoon Proves She Cloned Herself Alongside Lookalike Son Deacon Phillippe
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- South Dakota lawmakers see alignment with Noem as session begins
Ranking
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Glen Powell Reacts After Being Mistaken for Justin Hartley at 2024 Golden Globes
- The pandemic sent hunger soaring in Brazil. They're fighting back with school lunches.
- Arizona faces a $1 billion deficit as the state Legislature opens the 2024 session
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Vietnam’s VinFast to build a $2 billion EV plant in India as part of its global expansion
- Live updates | Fighting near central Gaza hospital prompts medics, patients and others to flee south
- Powerful winter storm brings strong winds and heavy snow, rain to northeastern U.S.
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Stock market today: Asian stocks decline after Wall Street logs its worst week in the last 10
2024 Golden Globes: Jo Koy Shares NSFW Thoughts On Robert De Niro, Barbie and More
Powerful winter storm brings strong winds and heavy snow, rain to northeastern U.S.
Intellectuals vs. The Internet
Lebanon airport screens display anti-Hezbollah message after being hacked
With every strike and counterstrike, Israel, the US and Iran’s allies inch closer to all-out war
Will TJ Watt play in wild-card game? JJ Watt says Steelers LB has Grade 2 MCL sprain